Cole-Orton, a village and a parish in Leicestershire, 2 miles E by N of Ashby-de-la-Zouch station on the M.R., with a post office under Ashby-de-la-Zouch; money order and telegraph office, Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Acreage, 2149; population of the civil parish, 761; of ecclesiastical, 567. Cole-Orton Hall is the seat of the Beaumont family. Coal has been worked for many centuries, and there is a pottery. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £224. The church has a fine spire, was restored in 1851, and contains monuments of the Beaumonts. Beaumont's Hospital and school have £237 from endowment.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cole-Orton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Ashby-de-la-Zouch|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish registers date from the year 1611, and are in good condition.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Coleorton:
Church of England
St. Mary the Virgin (parish church)
The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, vestry, south porch and an embattled western tower of the 12th century, with a very beautiful spire, struck by lightning in 1839; the tower contains 8 bells, two of which, together with a clock, were added in 1873 by Sir George Howland Beaumont, 9th bart. and other parishioners: the stained east window was presented by Charles Merewether esq. in memory of his father: the stained glass of the west window in the tower was brought from Rouen, and presented by a former Sir George H. Beaumont bart.: there are others to Mr. Merewether, to Sir George H. Beaumont, 9th bart. d. 8 June, 1882, and to the Rev. Canon W. R. Beaumont M.A. rector here 1864-1901: in the south aisle, above the family vault, is the fine tomb of Sir Henry Beaumont kt. ob. 1607, and Lady Elizabeth (Lois): the church was restored in 1851, when the north aisle was extended, the chancel refloored and a new organ and pulpit set up: there are 250 sittings: a lych gate was erected by the parishioners in 1901 as a memorial to Elizabeth Mary (Alderson), 2nd wife of the late Canon W. B. Beaumont: at a short distance from the church is the chapel of ease of St. John the Evangelist, with a burial ground, presented by Sir G. H. Beaumont, 9th bart.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Coleorton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cole-Orton (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: