Claybrooke, two townships in Leicestershire, and a parish partly also in Warwickshire. One of the townships bears the name of Great Claybrooke, lies near the junction of Watling Street and the Fosse Way, 1 mile WSW of Ullesthorpe station on the M.R., and 4 miles NW of Lutterworth, occupies high ground commanding an extensive view, includes the site of the Roman station Vennonoe, and has a post office under Lutterworth; money order office, Ullesthorpe; telegraph office, Ullesthorpe railway station. There is also a post office at Ullesthorpe. Area, 1090 acres; population, 376. The other township bears the name of Little Claybrooke, and lies contiguous to Great Claybrooke. Area, 536 acres; population, 84. The parish contains also the hamlet of Ullesthorpe and Wigston-Parva, the liberty of Bittesby in Leicester, and the township of Wibtoffc in Warwick. Population, 1038. The living is a vicarage united with the perpetual curacies of Wigston-Parva and Wibtoffc in the diocese of Peterborough; joint net yearly value, £313. Patron, the Crown. The church is an interesting building of stone in the Gothic style, chiefly of the 14th century. There is a chapel of ease at Wibtoft, a Wesleyan chapel at Great Claybrooke, and a Congregational chapel at Ullesthorpe.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Claybrooke St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Lutterworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1705.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Claybrooke:
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter, at Little Claybrooke, is a building of stone, chiefly in the Gothic style of the 14th century, and consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 4 bells, three dated 1618, 1626, 1672, and one undated; the whole were rehung in 1898 at a cost of £202: the chancel is of three bays, lighted by windows with exquisite curvilinear tracery, and between them are niches: in the north wall is a priest's doorway, and the south wall retains traces of a low-side window: there is a modern stone font, handsomely carved, and some remains of old stained glass: on the south side of the chancel is a memorial window: the church was partly restored in 1878, under the direction of G. E. Street esq. R.A. and the tower was repaired in 1907: in 1923 oak choir stalls were installed, through a legacy left by the Rev. C. F. Hayter, who was vicar here for 44 years: there are 400 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Claybrooke from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Claybrooke (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: