Church Langton, Leicestershire
Langton Church, a village and a parish in Leicestershire. The village stands 4¼ miles N from Market Harborough, and has a station on the main line of the M.R. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office at East Langton, under Market Harborough. The parish comprises the townships of East Langton, West Langton, Thorpe Langton, and Tur Langton. Acreage, 4409; population, 629. The mother church of the parish, in the village and township of East Langton, is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and embattled western tower. It was restored in 1866 at a cost of , £3000. The living is a rectory, consolidated with the curacies of Thorpe Langton and Tur Langton, in the diocese of Peterborough; net yearly value,, £395 with residence. There is a valuable charity amounting to about £1000 a year, from which free schools are maintained, and which is also used for other benevolent and ecclesiastical purposes. East Langton is about 4 miles N from Market Harborough, and it has in addition to the church previously mentioned, a Congregational chapel, erected in 1881. At West Langton there is an ancient mansion of stone called the Hall, standing on a hill in a small park, the property of the Warner family. Thorpe Langton is a chapelry and township 3½ miles N by E of Market Harborough. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style; consists of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a western pinnacled tower with an octagonal spire; has an ancient font, and was restored in 1868. Tur Langton is a chapelry, township, and village 2 miles E by N from Kibworth station on the main line of the M.R., and 5¼ NW from Market Harborough. The churcli, erected in 1866, is a building of brick in the Early English style. There is also a Congregational chapeL Charles I., in his flight from the Battle of Naseby, is said to have watered his horse here at a place still called King Charles' Well.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Church Langton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Market-Harborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from 1581 for baptisms, 1654 for marriages, and 1651 for burials.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is a large and ancient building of stone in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a lofty embattled tower containing a clock and 8 bells, 4 of which are dated 1615, the remainder 1741: the chancel retains a piscina and sedilia, also all aumbry with original doors; there is another piscina in the north aisle, and a piscina and sedilia in the south aisle: the stained east window, a memorial to the Rev. William Hanbury M.A. founder of the Free School, is dated 1778: the benches are of carved oak; and the font bears the initials T. G. W. C. and the date 1662: in the south aisle is a canopied tomb with the recumbent effigy of a knight in armour, and an inscription to Sir Richard Roberts, knight, ob. October 30, 1644: the church was thoroughly restored in 1866, at a cost of £3,000, by the trustees of Hanbury's charity, under a scheme of the Court of Chancery, when an organ chamber was constructed in the chancel: a reredos in alabaster was erected in 1890, at a cost of £100, with a representation in panel of "The Last Supper:" there are 287 sittings, about half being unappropriated.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Church Langton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Langton, Church (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Church Langton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: