Charley or Charnwood, formerly an extra-parochial tract, in Leicestershire, on the Wolds, in Charnwood Forest, 5¼miles SW of Loughborough. It is now included in the new parishes of the Oaks and Copt Oak. The area was formerly 500 acres, but in 1885 some outlying portions of Markfield and Newtown Linford were added, and it is now 1334 acres; population, 151. Post town, Loughborough; money order and telegraph office, Markfield. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Oaks in the diocese of Peterborough. An Augustinian friary was founded here in the tune of Henry II. by the Blanchrnains, and some remains of it exist.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Loughborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Charley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Charley)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: