Catthorpe or Calthorpe, Leicestershire
Catthorpe or Calthorpe, a parish in Leicestershire, on the verge of the county, Watling Street, and the river Avon, near the M.R., 4 miles ENE of Rugby, and½ mile NW from Lilbourn station on the L. & N.W.R. It has a post office under Rugby; money order office, Rugby; telegraph office, Clifton. Acreage, 645; population, 160. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net yearly value, £225 with residence. The church is a small edifice of stone in the Early English and Perpendicular styles. The font, east window, and sepulchral slab belong to the 13th century. A small chalice bears the date 1565.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cathorpe St. Thomas|
|Poor Law union||Lutterworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from 1573 and has been re-copied.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Catthorpe:
Church of England
St. Thomas (parish church)
The church of St. Thomas is a small building of stone erected about the end of the 13th or beginning of the 14th century, and is chiefly in the Early English and Decorated styles, with some portions of Perpendicular date, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a low embattled western tower containing 3 bells, two dated 1350 and one dated 1770: the organ was presented by J. P. Cross esq. of Catthorpe Towers in 1886; in 1897 a memorial window was placed in the south side to the Cross family and another in 1908 to J. P. Cross esq.: a brass tablet was erected in 1921 in memory of the five men of this parish who fell during the Great War, 1914-18: the communion plate includes a paten dated 1569 and a chalice dated 1568: the church was restored and reseated in 1886, at a cost of over £1,200, and affords 125 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Catthorpe or Calthorpe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cathorpe (St. Thomas))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: