Carlton Curlieu, Leicestershire
Carlton-Curlieu, a village and a parish in Leicestershire. The village is 2 miles NE of Kibworth station on the M.R., and 7½ NNW of Market-Harborough. The parish includes also the township of Ilston-on-the-Hill, and it has a post office under Leicester; money order and telegraph office, Kibworth Harcourt. Acreage, 1406; population of the civil parish, 90; of the ecclesiastical, 344. Carlton-Curlieu Hall is a very fine old building in the Elizabethan style. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net yearly value, £180 with residence, in the gift of the Palmer family. The church is a small building of stone in the Norman and later styles, and has some old monuments. It was restored in 1880.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Carlton-Curlieu St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Billesdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1749; the earlier books have been lost.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Carlton Curlieu:
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a small building of stone in the Norman and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, vestry and a western tower containing 3 bells, all dated 1732: the lower stage of the tower, which is the oldest part of the building, is Norman, and has massive walls, 4 feet thick, the west side opening to the nave by a fine Norman arch with zigzag mouldings; the upper part of the tower was repaired in 1686, as appears from the following inscription, cut in large letters upon the parapet on the north side:- In the year MDCLXXXVI. this church and steeple was repaired, by Geoffrey Palmer esq. son and heir of Sir Lewis Palmer of Carlton, near Cottingham, in the county of Northampton. baronet; above are the arms of the family: there are no aisles, and the nave and the chancel; divided by an arch, are under a single roof; this part of the church was built by Sir John Palmer bart. M.P. in 1767, the old part of the building, except the tower and a little side chapel, being then pulled down: the present east window and the north and south windows on either side of the chancel were in the old building; the two latter are in the Geometrical style; the east window, which has intersecting tracery, was filled with stained glass by Colonel Palmer and other members of the same family, at a cost of £200: the lectern was given by F. E. Bigge esq. and the font, of Bath stone, by Mrs. Bigge: the chapel has been rebuilt of local stone, to serve as a vestry, with a large arch of Bath stone opening from it into the church: in the vestry there is an ancient monument of alabaster, with recumbent effigies, to Sir John Bale kt. buried here 10 March, 1621, and Frances, his wife, daughter of Bernard Brocas esq. of Beaurepaire, ob. 27 Feb. 1689; the figure of the knight is in complete armour and that of his lady in the dress of the period; at the back of the monument are effigies of their five sons and two daughters, and on the sides are laudatory epitaphs in Latin and a shield of arms: there are several mural tablets: in the churchyard is a large stone monument to the Rev. William Fenwicke. formerly rector here, d. 8 Oct, 1733: the church, as appears from an inscription on the vestry, was completely restored in 1880-1, by Sir Geoffrey Palmer bart. at a cost of £1,464, when the roof was renewed and raised, and the interior reseated in oak: a new organ, costing £150, was presented by Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Bigge, late of Carlton Hall: there are 120 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Carlton Curlieu from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Carlton-Curlieu (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Carlton Curlieu are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: