UK Genealogy Archives logo

Burton Lazars, Leicestershire

Historical Description

Burton-Lazars, a township, a village, and a chapelry in Melton - Mowbray parish, Leicestershire, adjacent to the Melton-Mowbray and Oakham Canal, and 1½ mile SE by S of Melton-Mowbray, which is the nearest railway station, There is a post office under Melton-Mowbray, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage of township, 2780 , population, 311. A lepers' hospital was founded here in the time of Stephen, partly by a general collection throughout England, but chiefly by the Mowbrays, and was the chief lazar-house in England. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Melton-Mowbray, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is an old building of stone in the Decorated style. Burton Hall is a handsome mansion of red stone.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyLeicestershire 
Civil parishMelton Mowbray 
HundredFramland 
Poor Law unionMelton-Mowbray 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The registers are in good condition, and date from the year 1778.

Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Burton Lazars:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1778-1916 1762-18371778-1987

Churches

Church of England

St. James (parish church)

The church of St. James is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells, dated 1804 and 1823: the church was restored in 1850, when a new chancel was built, at a cost of about £480, and further restored in 1887, at a cost of £250: there are 200 sittings: in the churchyard is a monument to William Squires, dated 1780.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Burton Lazars from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Burton Lazars are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online:

DistrictMelton
CountyLeicestershire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtLE14
Post TownMelton Mowbray