Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Burrough or Burrow-on-the-Hill, a parish in Leicestershire, 1½ mile NE from John of Gaunt station on the Market Harborough, Melton and Nottingham branch of the G.N. and L.& N.W. Joint railways. The post, money order, and telegraph office is at Somerby, under Oakham. Acreage, 1580; population of the civil parish, 139; of the ecclesiastical, 114. Burrough Hill, called also Caesar's Camp, commands a fine view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross yearly value, £367 with residence. The church, a very ancient Gothic building of stone, has a figured circular font, a piscina, and the tomb of a Stockden, and is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Burrough St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Melton-Mowbray|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1624.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Burrough on the Hill:
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone, dating from the 13th century, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower with spire, containing a clock and 4 bells, dated respectively 1600, 1609, 1619 and 1730: the east window and eight others are stained, including two erected in 1906 by C. Neville Peake and Clifford Chaplin esqrs.: in the church is a monument with effigies to William Stockton knt. ob. 1470, and Margaretta, his wife: in the chancel is a brass, erected in 1864 by Alexander R. Brown, his nephew, to William Brown, rear-admiral and commander-in-chief at Jamaica, who died there 20 September, 1814, and to Martha his second wife, d. 13 Dec. 1851: there is also another to Mary, wife of Roland Brown esq. d. 13 Nov. 1755: a new organ was provided in 1908: the porch was panelled and seated with oak in memory of parishioners who served in the Great War, 1914-18: the names of those who fell are carved on one side and those who served and returned on the other: there are 150 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Burrough on the Hill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Burrough, or Burrow-on-the-Hill (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: