Burbage, a chapelry, a village, and township in Leicestershire. The chapelry is in Aston-Flamville parish, lies on the verge the county, at Watling Street, 1½ mile SE of Hinckley station on the L. & N.W. & M.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Hinckley. Acreage of township, 3105; population, 1876. Many of the inhabitants are framework knitters. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory of Aston-Flamville, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church, rebuilt in 1842, is in the Early English style, and has a tower and spire. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Aston Flamville|
|Poor Law union||Hinckley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1562, and is in perfect condition.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Burbage:
Church of England
St. Catharine (parish church)
The church of St. Catharine is a building of stone, dating from the 14th century, but of the original fabric little remains except the tower: the church was partly rebuilt in 1842, in the Early English style, and consists of chancel with aisle, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch, vestry and an embattled western tower with lofty spire, containing a clock and 5 bells, dated 1701 and 1761: the lower stage of the tower forms a west porch: the pulpit is of alabaster: the font, of ancient date, has been restored: the stained east window was presented by K. Baghot De la Bere esq.; and there are several memorial windows: the south door, a fine specimen of carved oak bears date 1633: built into the wall of the south aisle is a fine slab inscribed to Richard Wightman, ob. 1535: in the chancel is a handsome monument of alabaster and black marble to the Rt. Hon. Anthony (Grey), 9th Earl of Kent, and 50 years rector of this parish, ob. 1643, and a white marble slab to Bracewell Perkyns, d. 1721. The church was restored in 1882 and the tower and spire in 1913: the church was further renovated in 1922, at a cost of £450: there are 600 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Burbage from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Burbage are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: