UK Genealogy Archives logo

Brooksby, Leicestershire

Historical Description

Brooksby, a parish in Leicestershire, on the river Wreak, and on the Syston and Peterborough branch of the M.R., 3 miles E of the Fosse Way, and 5¾ WSW of Melton-Mowbray. It has a station on the railway, and its post town is Leicester; money order office, Rearsby; telegraph office at Brooksby station. Acreage, 867; population, 42. Brooksby Hall was formerly the seat of the Villierses, and was the birthplace of the first Villiers Duke of Buckingham. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £200. The church, a fine building of stone in the Decorated style, contains monuments of the Villierses.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyLeicestershire 
Ecclesiastical parishBrookesby St. Michael 
HundredEast Goscote 
Poor Law unionMelton-Mowbray 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1620.

We have transcribed Phillimore Marriages volume 2, which includes Brooksby 1767-1812

Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Brooksby:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1768-1916 1767-19251776-1991

Churches

Church of England

St. Michael (parish church)

The church of St. Michael is a building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, north and south porches and an embattled western tower with pinnacles and spire (restored in 1620) and containing one bell, dated 1749: on the north side of the chancel is a mural monument of white marble, with shafts of grey marble and standing effigies, to Sir Williams Villiers bart. and M.P. for the county, the last male representative of the elder branch of the Villiers family, d. 27 Feb. 1711, and Anne (Potts), his wife, d. 31 July, 1711: the arms of some early members of the same ancient family appear in the windows: the church was restored in 1879 by Ernest Chaplin esq, of Brooksby Hall, at a cost of £800, when a new roof of pitch pine was fixed, the interior reseated and a handsome carved oak pulpit on a stone base introduced: there are 100 sittings.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Brooksby from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Brooksby are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online:

DistrictMelton
CountyLeicestershire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtLE14
Post TownMelton Mowbray