Braunstone, a township and an ecclesiastical district in Glenfield parish, Leicestershire, on the Union Canal, 2½ miles SW of Leicester, which is the nearest railway station, and post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage of township, 1489; population, 169. Braunstone Frith (population, 10), extra-parochial, adjoins on the NW. Braunstone Hall, a fine mansion of brick, stands in a park of 10 acres. The district is a perpetual curacy, in the rectory of Glenfield, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church, an ancient edifice of stone in the Later Norman style, is said to date from the 14th century.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Blaby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1561.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Braunstone:
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Braunstone, St Peter's:
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is an ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a low western tower containing 3 bells, dated 1812: there are inscribed stones on the floor of the chancel to the Winstanley family, former owners here, dated 1672 and 1709; and in the lower stage of the tower is a stone with inscription recording the repair of the steeple in 1704: the church was restored in 1876 and 1885, at a cost of £580, and affords 120 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Braunstone from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: