Branston, Branstone, or Braunston, a parish in Leicestershire, 4¼ miles SE from Harby and Stathern station on the G.N. and L. & N.W. Joint railways, and 8 NNE of Melton-Mowbray. It has a post office under Grantham; money order and telegraph office, Knipton. Acreage, 1837; population, 257. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £266 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church is a building of stone partly in the Perpendicular style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Branston St. Guthlake|
|Poor Law union||Melton-Mowbray|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1591.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Branston:
Church of England
St. Guthlac (parish church)
The church of St. Guthlac is a building of stone, partly in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles and a crocketed spire, and containing 3 bells, dated respectively 1623, 1622 and 1738, in the chancel floor is an incised slab to John Jacthyn, a former rector, ob. 6 July, 1460: the church was reseated in 1840; in 1872 a new porch was built and the south aisle restored, and in 1880 an organ chamber was erected and a new organ presented by James Henry Murray in memory of his wife, daughter of a former rector: in 1895 the east window in the chancel was filled with stained glass and a reredos erected as a memorial to J. H. Murray, ob, July 21, 1894: in 1897 the roof was renewed and chancel re-arranged and repaved with tiles, the nave partly reseated, at a cost of over £1,000: there are 150 sittings, all free.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Branston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Branston, or Braunston (St. Guthlake))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: