Blaston St Michael and St Giles, two ecclesiastical parishes in Leicestershire, which conjointly form a village and township, 1½ mile NE of Hallaton station on the G.N.R., and 5 miles SW of Uppingham, which is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Hallaton. Acreage, 1287; population of the township, 100; of the ecclesiastical parishes of St Giles, 70, and Blaston St Michael, with Hallaton, 785. The living of St Michael is a donative annexed to Hallaton rectory; joint gross yearly value, £720 with residence. The living of St Giles is a donative rectory; gross value, £229 with residence. Both livings are in the diocese of Peterborough. The churches of both parishes are small Gothic buildings of stone. The Manor House and Blaston Hall are chief residences.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Blaston St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Uppingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Blaston, St Giles:
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Blaston, St Giles & St Michael's:
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Blaston, St Michael's:
Church of England
St. Giles (parish church)
The church of St. Giles, rebuilt in 1877 by the Rev. G. C. Fenwicke M.A. a former rector, at a cost of £1,250, as a memorial to his parents, the Rev. George Ousley Fenwicke, of Blaston, and rector of Rearsby, and Elizabeth Annie his wife, is a small building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave, south porch and a turret containing one bell: all the windows are stained: at the north side is a brass recording the erection of the church: the communion plate includes a mediaeval silver parcel-gilt chalice, c. 1500, 5½ inches in height, with a conical bowl, gilt on the inside; the stem is hexagonal and the foot mullet-shaped, with knops of the letter M surmounted by a marguerite and engraved in one compartment with a crucifix; it was restored about 1845, and exhibited to the Soc. Antiq. Lond. in November, 1885: there are 100 sittings.
St. Michael (parish church)
The church of St. Michael, rebuilt in 1867-68, is a small building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of nave, with a western turret containing one bell: there are 50 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Blaston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Blaston (St. Michael))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: