Bitteswell, a village and a parish in Leicestershire, near Watling Street, 1 mile NNW of Lutterworth, and 2 miles ESE of Ullesthorpe station on the M.R., with a post office under Lntterworth, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1820; population, 330. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £293 with residence. Patrons, the Haberdashers' Company and Christ's Hospital, London, alternately. The church is an old building dating from the middle of the 14th century in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles. It was restored in 1881-82. The village has some valuable charities, which include six almshouses and an endowed school. Bitteswell Hall, Bitteswell Lodge, the manor house, and Bitteswell House are the country seats in this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bitteswell St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Lutterworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1558.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Bitteswell:
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an ancient building dating from about the middle of the 14th century, in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, with some Norman work, and consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower with low octagonal spire containing 4 bells, dated 1706, and a clock: on the south side of the tower on the outside is a large sepulchral recess of Perpendicular character, and there are several memorial windows: in 1812 the chancel was new roofed; the tower was restored in 1842 and the spire in 1896, and in 1881-2 the church was restored throughout under the supervision of W. P. Lyon esq. F.R.I.B.A. at a cost of £1,950: there are 120 sittings. A lych gate was erected in 1888 at the west entrance by Richard Twining esq. in memory of the Rev. James Powell M.A. vicar of the parish 1789 to 1844. The new churchyard, of about one acre, consecrated in 1902, was the gift of Richard Twining esq. to whose memory a handsome cross was erected on the ground. A marble tablet was erected on the churchyard wall in 1920, as a memorial to the men connected with this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bitteswell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bitteswell (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Bitteswell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: