Belgrave, a large village, a township, and a parish in Leicester, now incorporated in the borough of Leicester. The township lies on the river Soar and the M.R., 1½ mile NNE of Leicester, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Leicester. It gives the title of Viscount to the Marquis of Westminster. The parish includes also the chapelry of Birstall. Population of the ecclesiastical parish, including Birstall, 10,628. The living is a vicarage, united with the perpetual curacy of Birstall, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint net yearly value, ,6235 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is Later English, but has a Norman door, and on the north side of the chancel are the remains of a Saxon window. A second church, dedicated to St Michael and All Angels, was opened in 1887 for a separate ecclesiastical district. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and there is also a Nonconformist Union church. Many of the Inhabitants are engaged in the hosiery and shoe trades.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Belgrave St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Barrow-upon-Soar|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of St. Michael and All Angels dates from the year 1887.
The register dates from the year 1647.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Belgrave:
The church of St. Michael and All Angels, on the Melton road, erected in 1887, on a site given by Isaac Harrison esq, J.P. of Newfound Pool House, is a structure of red brick, consisting of sacrarium, nave and vestries: in 1892 choir stalls of carved oak were provided from a legacy by Miss Burfield, and an organ was also erected: there is also a memorial window to Miss Burfield.
The church of St. Peter is a building of stone in the Norman and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch, added in 1912, and an embattled western tower containing 8 bells, five of which are dated 1630, 1631 and 1871, the remaining three being added in 1888: the south doorway is a fine specimen of Norman work: the windows of the south aisle are Early English and the chancel affords an admirable example of the Decorated period: the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. Richard Stephens B.D. formerly vicar, and there are several other stained windows: the church was restored in 1857, and in 1877 a vestry, organ chamber and organ were erected: in 1908 the vestry was enlarged and a clergy vestry added at a cost of £500: in 1927 the following gifts and memorials were dedicated:- black and white marble floor in sanctuary, oak panelled walls, oak altar rails and sanctuary carpet: there are 550 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Belgrave from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Belgrave (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Belgrave are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online:
The ecclesiastical parish of St. Michael and All Angels, Belgrave, was formed from Belgrave in 1888.