Beeby, a parish in Leicestershire, on an affluent of the-river Wreak, 3 miles NE of Thurnby and Scraptoft station on the G.N.R., and 6½ NE of Leicester, which is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Syston. Acreage, 1435; population, 106. The living is a rectory in the.-diocese of Peterborough; net yearly value, £245 with residence. The church is a stone building in the Early English style, and was partly restored in 1867. The chancel was restored and the south porch in 1893.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Beeby All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Barrow-upon-Soar|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Beeby:
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with the lower portion of an octagonal spire, said never to have been completed, the local tradition being that during its erection the architects, two brothers, fell to quarrelling on the top of the tower, and coming to blows, fell over in the struggle and were killed; the tower contains 3 bells: the nave appears to have been rebuilt in the 15th century, in part with the materials of the earlier fabric, and its architectural features are consequently of a more or less mixed character, as may be seen in the north arcade: the chancel screen, a work dating from about 1350-60, was restored in 1894, under the direction of Mr. W. D. Caröe, architect, of London, when gates were added, and an open traceried cross placed above the centre archway: on the chancel side is a small brass plate recording this restoration, in which some old oak from the roof of Rearsby church was employed: there is a mural tablet, with arms, to Edward Laurence M.A. rector, ob. 28 June, 1645, a flat stone to the Rev. Paul Balgay, d. 26 October, 1724, and Theodosia his wire, d. August, 1703, and memorials to the Rev. William Storrs, rector, d. 11 June 1767, and to the King family, 1756-73: the east window is stained and the chancel retains a piscina and sedilia: there is a very fine old stone font, adorned with carving, and an eagle lectern: the pulpit, of stone and polished marble, is a memorial to John Marriott, and was presented by his friends in 1887, as appears from an inscription on the inside: the church was restored in 1867, the cost being partly defrayed by a gift of £500 from the Rev. George Calvert, rector 1818-65, and a further sum of £200 given by the Rev. Arthur Walker Woodcock, rector 1865-85: the chancel, formerly 8 feet longer than at present, was rebuilt by Mr. Calvert in 1819: in 1893 the chancel was thoroughly restored, the south porch rebuilt, and new open oak benches placed on the north side of the nave, and in 1900 a new ogan was provided: there are 169 sittings, 47 being free.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Beeby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Beeby (All Saints))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Beeby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: