Poynton or Pointon with Worth, Cheshire
Poynton or Pointon-with-Worth, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Prestbury parish, Cheshire. The village stands 4¼ miles SSE of Stockport, and has stations on the L. & N.W.R. and M.S. & L.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stockport. The township comprises 2966 acres; population, 2274. The manor, with Poynton Hall, and the land belong to Lord Vernon. Coal is extensively mined. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1871, having been previously a parochial chapelry. Population, 2269. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £258. Patron, Lord Vernon. The church was rebuilt in 1859. There are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels and a newsroom.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Macclesfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Poynton or Pointon with Worth from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.