UK Genealogy Archives logo

Bardon Hill, Leicestershire

Historical Description

Bardon, or Bardon Park, is a parish in the mid division of Leicestershire, 7 miles SE from Ashby de la Zouche, and 10 NW from Leicester. It has a station (Bardon Hill) on the Leicester and Burton branch of the M.R. There are large quarries here yielding granite for macadamising. There is no church, but services are conducted in the Church of England school. Bardon Hall is a fine mansion. Acreage, 1252; population, 69. It has a post office under Leicester; money order office, Coalville; telegraph office, Bardon Hill (R.S.) Bardon Hill here is a peak of the Chamwood Forest range, has an altitude of 853 feet, and commands a panoramic view said to include about one-fourth of England. Drayton sings of the dryaas " On Sharpley that were seen, and Cadman's ancient rocks, Against the rising sun to braid their silver locks, And with the harmless elves on heathy Bardon's height, By Cynthia's golden teams to play there night by night."

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyLeicestershire 
HundredSparkenhoe 
Poor Law unionMarket-Bosworth 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Bardon Hill:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1899-19161918-19401918-19311922-1922

Churches

Church of England

St. Peter (parish church)

The church of St. Peter, erected in 1898-9 as a memorial to Mr. and Mrs. Breedon Everard, is a building of Bardon Hill granite, with Doulting stone dressings, in the English Geometrical Decorated style, consisting of chancel, with organ chamber and vestry, nave, south transept, north aisle, a western narthex, serving as a baptistery, and a western turret containing 3 bells: there are sittings for 300 persons. In the churchyard is a memorial to parishioners who fell in the Great War, 1914-18.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bardon Hill from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Bardon Hill are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online:

DistrictNorth West Leicestershire
CountyLeicestershire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtLE67