Aylestone, a village included in the enlarged borough of Leicester, of which it is one of the wards. The village stands at the junction of the Union Canal with the river Soar, near the Fosse Way, 1½ mile WNW of Wigston station on the L. & N.W.R. and M.R., and 2½ miles S by W of Leicester. Acreage, 901; population, 5381. Ecclesiastically it is divided into the old parish of St Andrew, and the new district of St James, Aylestone Park, both of which are in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough. The former includes the township and chapelry of Lubbesthorpe. There are post offices at Aylestone and Aylestone Park, and a telegraph office at the latter. Aylestone Hall was formerly the seat of the Manners family, and is an ancient mansion restored in 1850. The old church of St Andrew is a substantial structure of rubble and granite in the Early English style, with tower and lofty spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Aylestone St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Blaby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of St. Andrew dates from the year 1561, and contains entries of the baptisms of some members of the Manners family.
The register of St. James dates from the year 1891.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Aylestone:
They also have the following online for Aylestone Park:
The church of St. Andrew is a building of rubble and granite, in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower with lofty spire, containing 6 bells, one of which is of pre-Reformation date: in the church is a brass to a former rector of the name of Heathcote, dated 1594, and other monuments: there are several memorial windows, including one erected in commemoration of the Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1887: the church was partially restored during 1894-1901 and again between 1902 and 1927: the churchyard was enlarged about 1858, the additional land being given by the 6th Duke of Rutland K.G. but it is now closed; Dorothy Vernon is said to have been married in this church.
The church of St. James is an edifice of brick and stone in the Gothic style, and consists of a nave and temporary chancel: the church affords 540 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aylestone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Aylestone (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Aylestone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online:
Aylestone was formerly a civil parish. By the Leicester Extension Act, 1891, March 26, 1892, part of the civil parish was added to the borough of Leicester. By Local Government Board Order, No. 32,954, March 26, 1896, the borough portion was annexed to Leicester civil parish and the remainder to Lubbesthorpe.
St. James's, Aylestone Park, is an ecclesiastical parish, formed Dec. 3rd, 1891, from that of St. Andrew, Aylestone.