Aston Flamville, Leicestershire
Aston-Flamville, a township and a parish in Leicestershire. The township lies near the river Soar, the Fosse Way, and Wathng Street, 3½ miles ESE of Hinckley station on the L. & N.W. and M.R., and 9 NW of Lutterworth. The parish includes also the chapelry of Burbage and the hamlet of Sketchley. Post town, Hinckley; telegraph and money order office, Burbage. Acreage, 1091; population, 100. The living is a rectory, united with the curacy of Bnrbage, in the diocese of Peterborough; net yearly value, £500. Patron, Earl Cowper. The church is ancient, and was partly restored in 1855 and 1873.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Aston-Flamville St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Hinckley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1562.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Aston Flamville:
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is a building of stone, principally in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles: the stained east window and another stained window in the chancel are memorials to Sir William Edmund Cradock-Hartopp bart. d. 16 October, 1864, and were given respectively by Jane Mary, his wife, and by their children: there are also monuments to the Hon. Mary Jane (Eden), wife of Sir Edmund Cradock-Hartopp, 2nd bart. d. 12 September, 1843; one to Sir Edmund Bunney-Cradock-Hartopp, 1st bart. (d. 1833) and also to Anne (Hurlock), his wife, and their children: the chancel retains a piscina and an aumbry: the font, a beautiful work in marble, was presented by the children of Sir W. E. and Lady Cradock-Hartopp: there is a small stained window to Mrs. Clementina Harriet Wilkinson, d. 1846; the nave and tower were entirely rebuilt in 1873, and in 1911 the rector placed a clock in the tower to the memory of King Edward VII.: the church affords 150 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aston Flamville from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Aston-Flamville (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Aston Flamville are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: