Asfordby or Ashfordby, a parish in Leicestershire, with a station on the M.R., 3 miles W from Melton Mowbray. It has a post office under Melton Mowbray, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1568', population, 717. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross yearly value, £534. The church is a building of stone in the Early English Perpendicular and Decorated styles. There are also Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels. Asfordby Hall is a chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ashfordby All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Melton-Mowbray|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Asfordby:
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a cruciform building of stone, in the Early English, Perpendicular and Decorated styles, with some remains of Norman work, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, transepts, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles and crocketed spire, with three tiers of spire lights, and containing a clock and 6 bells, four of which date from 1690 and one from 1631: the south transept has a western aisle; its stained east window was erected in 1899 by parishioners and friends to the memory of the Rev. Canon John Cartmell, rector here 1857-97: in the north transept is a piscina and in the nave are the remains of the rood stair: the chancel retains a piscina and triple sedilia: there are six stained windows: the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. Thomas Beaumont Burnaby M.A. rector of this parish and vicar of Ashby Folville, d. 15 June, 1823, and to Catherine Clarke, his wife, d. 6 April, 1825, and was erected in 1826 by their daughters, Catherine Clarke Burnaby and Maria Wootton Lockinge, to whom there are also memorial windows in the chancel, and another to the infant daughter of the Rev. Henry Lockinge: in the south transept are memorial windows to John Dick Burnaby esq, and his wife and the Rev. Frederick George Burnaby M.A. and Anna Maria, his wife: in 1920 the old chancel screen was completed and a crucifix and figures of St. Mary and St. John, also an oak tablet, were erected as a memorial to those of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: the church was restored in 1869, at a cost of £2,000, and affords 300 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Asfordby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ashfordby, or Asfordby (All Saints))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Asfordby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: