Arnesby, a parish and a small town in Leicestershire, 3½ miles SE of Countesthorpe station on the M.R., and 8 S by E of Leicester, which is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Flechney. Acreage, 1415; population, 399. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; value, £100. The church is a fine building of stone, in the Norman, Early English, and Decorated styles. A Baptist church has existed here since 1702. Robert Hall was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Arnesby St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Lutterworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1649.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Arnesby:
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter consists of a nave, two aisles, a chancel and an embattled tower: the western portion of the nave belongs to the original Norman building and has two massive Norman arches on each side; the pillars are round and have Saxon capitals: there are seven clerestory windows, placed irregularly: the font is Norman or Early English: the eastern portion of the nave, the chancel and the aisles belong to the Decorated style of architecture of the 13th century: in the chancel, which is equal to the nave in length, are sedilia for three priests and a double piscina on the south wall, and on the north wall an Easter sepulchre: another piscina is to be seen on the east wall of the north aisle: the tower contains 5 bells, four dated 1624; a treble and a chiming clock were added in 1907: outside the church, in a niche over the east window, is a figure of the patron saint: the earliest known vicar was Simon the Chaplain, in 1220 A.D.: there are 250 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Arnesby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Arnesby (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: