Alexton or Allexton, a village and a parish in Leicestershire, on the river Eye, 3 miles W by N of Uppingham, and 2½ NE from Hallaton station on the G.N.R. Post town and money order office, Uppingham; telegraph office, East Norton station. Acreage, 1027; population, 64. Alexton Hall, now a farmhouse, was formerly a seat of Lord Berners. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net yearly value, £135 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone, in the Norman and Early English styles.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Alexton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Billesdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms dates from 1636; marriages. 1792; and burials, 1686; the first book containing a description of the church in 1636, is in bad condition, some of the leaves having been cut out; the registers from 1714 to 1792 are wanting.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Allexton:
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is an ancient building of stone, chiefly in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, vestry and an embattled western tower containing 4 bells, dated respectively 1597, 1662, 1715 and 1640: the chancel retains an ancient piscina: the east window is stained: in the north aisle is a window filled with ancient glass, memorials to Richard Smith, clerk. d. 3 April. 1762, and Alice his wife. d. 10 Aug. 1726, and also a tablet to the Rev. Edmund George Charnock, d. 24 May, 1818: the church plate, given by Richard Verney esq. in 1652, includes a chalice of earlier date: in the reign of Queen Elizabeth the aisles were removed, the arcades built up and a south porch added, but in 1863 the church was thoroughly restored, the aisles being rebuilt and two blocked Norman arches of the 12th century on the north side of the nave opened and rebuilt: there are 80 sittings: in the churchyard are two ancient carved stones intended to represent lions.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Allexton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Alexton (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: