Witherne, a village and a parish in Lincolnshire. The village stands 2¼ miles from Aby station on the G.N.R., and 4½ NNW of Alford. It has a post office under Alford; money order and telegraph office, Alford. The parish includes Stain hamlet for civil purposes, is united to Mablethorpe St Mary for ecclesiastical purposes, and comprises 2750 acres; population of the civil parish, 447; of the ecclesiastical, 440. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. A seat of the Fitzwilliams, now a farmhouse, stands near a large square moated area which probably was a Roman camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln; gross value, £436 with residence. The church is a modern structure of brick, built within the foundations of an ancient structure in 1812. It has been restored. There is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Withern St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Louth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Withern 1560-1837, Lincolnshire is available to browse online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Withern:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Witherne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Withern (St. Margaret))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online:
- Grantham Journal
- Grimsby Daily Telegraph
- Lincolnshire Chronicle
- Lincolnshire Echo
- Lincolnshire Free Press
- Louth and North Lincolnshire Advertiser
- Stamford Mercury