Winterton, a small town and a parish in Lincolnshire. The town stands 4 miles from Appleby station on the M.S. & L.R., and 9 NNW of Brigg. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office, and appears, from the discovery at it of pavements and other Roman relics, to occupy the site of a Roman settlement. It carries on the making of machines and agricultural implements. There are three good inns, a police station, an Oddfellows' hall, an Early English church with Norman tower, and Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The parish comprises 3818 acres; population, 1400. There is an urban district council consisting of twelve members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; net value, £200 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Winterton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Glandford-Brigg|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Winterton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Winterton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Winterton (All Saints))
Online maps of Winterton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: