Pott Shrigley, Cheshire
Pott Shrigley, a hamlet, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Prestbury parish, Cheshire, on the Macclesfield Canal, 2 miles NE of Bollington station on the M.S. & L.R., and 4½ NNE of Macclesfield. Post town, Macclesfield; money order and telegraph office, Bollington. Acreage of township, 1706; population, 354. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Shrigley Hall and Pott Hall are the chief residences. There are fire-brick and chimney-pipe manufactories and collieries. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1880. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £89 with residence. The church, founded in 1492, consists of nave, N and S aisles, chancel, and embattled tower. There is a New Connexion Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Macclesfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pott Shrigley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Pott-Shrigley)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.