Wickenby, a parish, with two hamlets, in Lincolnshire, with a station on the M. & S.R., 146 miles from London, and 5½ SSW of Market Rasen. There is a post office under Lincoln; money order and telegraph office, Wragby. Acreage, 2033; population, 232. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln; net value, £300 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, and has been restored. There is a Free Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wickenby St. Peter and St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Lincoln|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Wickenby:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wickenby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wickenby (St. Peter and St. Lawrence))
Online maps of Wickenby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online:
- Grantham Journal
- Grimsby Daily Telegraph
- Lincolnshire Chronicle
- Lincolnshire Echo
- Lincolnshire Free Press
- Louth and North Lincolnshire Advertiser
- Stamford Mercury
Villages, Hamlets, &cRosedale