West Rasen, Lincolnshire
Rasen, West, a village and a parish in Lincolnshire. The village stands on the river Rase, 3 miles W of Market Rasen station on the Hull and Lincoln branch of the M.S. & L.R., and has a post office under Market Rasen; money order and telegraph office, Market Rasen. A curious ancient horse-bridge of the 14th century crosses the Ease here. The parish comprises 3180 acres; population, 218. The manor belongs to Lord Herries. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. The church, which was restored in 1870 at the cost of the rector, is a building of stone in the Early English, Decorated, and Perpendicular styles, with some remains of a Norman church. In the churchyard stands an ancient cross, which has been restored. There is a public elementary school, which is also used as a Roman Catholic chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Rasen All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Caistor|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for West Rasen:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Rasen from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Rasen, West (All Saints))
Online maps of West Rasen are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: