Washingborough, a township and a parish in Lincolnshire. The township lies on the river Witham, with a station on the G.N.R., 132 miles from London, and 3 E by S of Lincoln. It contains a village of its own name, and has a post office under Lincoln; money order and telegraph office, Branston. The parish contains also Heighington township, which has a post office under Lincoln. Acreage, 5080; population, 1254. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The living is a rectory, with Heighington annexed, in the diocese of Lincoln; gross value, £1400 with residence. The church is a large and handsome building of stone in the Norman style, and has a fine E memorial window of 1866. A Methodist chapel was erected in 1882.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Washingborough St. John the Evangelist|
|Poor Law union||Lincoln|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Washingborough:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Washingborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Washingborough (St. John the Evangelist))
Online maps of Washingborough are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: