Thornton Curtis, Lincolnshire
Thornton Curtis, a parish, with a village, in Lincolnshire, at Thornton Abbey station on the M.S. & L.R., 4 miles SSE of New Holland. It has a post office under Ulceby; money order and telegraph office, Barrow-on-Humber. Acreage, 4934; population, 489. A Cistercian abbey stood on a spot 1½ mile NE of the village, was founded in 1139 by W. Ie Gros, Earl of Albemarle; gave its abbots a seat in the upper house of parliament; was converted by Henry VIII. into a college, and given by Edward VI. to the Bishops of Lincoln, and is now represented by interesting ruins. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; net value, £175 with residence. The church is a building of stone in the Early English style, and was restored at a great expense in 1883-84. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thornton-Curtis St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Glandford-Brigg|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Thornton Curtis:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thornton Curtis from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Thornton-Curtis (St. Lawrence))
Online maps of Thornton Curtis are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online:
- Grantham Journal
- Grimsby Daily Telegraph
- Lincolnshire Chronicle
- Lincolnshire Echo
- Lincolnshire Free Press
- Louth and North Lincolnshire Advertiser
- Stamford Mercury