Tetford, a village and a parish in Lincolnshire. The village stands 6 miles NE by E of Horncastle on the G.N.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office. The parish comprises 1818 acres; population, 481. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Limestone is largely worked. There are traces of large ancient camps. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln; gross value, about £300. The church is a building of stone in the Early English style. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tetford St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Horncastle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Tetford:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tetford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tetford (St. Mary))
Online maps of Tetford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: