Tattershall, a small town, a parish, and a township, in Lincolnshire. The town stands on the river Bain, the Witham Navigation, and the Lincoln and Boston branch of the G.N.R., on which it has a station, 9 miles SSW of Horncastle, and 13 NNW from Boston. It has a post and money order office under Lincoln; telegraph office at Coningsby. There was formerly a market on Thursdays, but this has been discontinued. There is a fair, however, for cattle and sheep, which is held on 25 Sept. The base of a large ancient cross still remains in the market place. The parish consists of the townships of Tattershall and Tattershall Thorpe. Area of Tattershall, 1684 acres; population, 487; of Tattershall Thorpe, 2986 acres; population, 277; of the ecclesiastical parish, 764. The manor was given by William the Conqueror to Eudo; passed to the Cromwells, the mother of Henry VII., the Brandons, and the Clintons, and belongs now to Earl Fortescue. Tattershall Castle was built by Eudo, and rebuilt about 1440 by the Cromwells; suffered much injury in the civil wars of Charles I., and has left a four-storeyed tower, 100 feet high, with octangular corner turrets. This is one of the finest examples of mediaeval brickwork in England, and from its summit a wide view of the surrounding country is to be obtained. Two Roman camps are at Tattershall Park. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; gross value, £122 with residence. Patron, Earl Fortescue. The church, formerly collegiate, is entirely Perpendicular, having been rebuilt from the ground by Lord Treasurer Cromwell about the middle of the 15th century. It is a beautiful cruciform building of sharp and well cut green stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, N and S porches, transepts, and a massive western tower. It has some ancient and interesting brasses. There are a Wesleyan chapel, almshouses for ten poor families, and some small charities. Tattershall Thorpe is a township, 1 mile to the NE. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tattershall Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Horncastle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Tattershall:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tattershall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tattershall (Holy Trinity))
Online maps of Tattershall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: