Syston, a parish, with a village, in Lincolnshire, 1¼ mile ESE of Barkstone station on the main line of the G.N.R., and 3 miles N by E of Grantham. Post town and money order office, Grantham; telegraph office, Honington station. Acreage, 1653; population, 196. The manor, with Syston Hall, a fine mansion standing on an eminence, and commanding beautiful views, belongs to the baronet family of Thorold, who are also sole landowners. The village, under the name of Willingham, together with the neighbouring Jericho woods, figures in Sir Walter Scott's " Heart of Midlothian." The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. The church is a building of stone in the Norman Early English and Later styles, and consists of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and an embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Syston St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Newark|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Syston:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Syston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Syston (St. Mary))
Online maps of Syston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: