Swinhope, a small village and a parish in Lincolnshire, 6¼ miles WSW of North Thoresby station on the East Lincolnshire branch of the G.N.R., and 7 SE of Caistor. Post town, Grimsby; money order and telegraph office, Binbrook. Acreage, 1323; population, 106. The manor, with most of the land and Swinhope House, belongs to the Alington family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln; gross value, £243. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Gothic style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Swinhope St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||Caistor|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Swinhope:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Swinhope from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Swinhope (St. Helen))
We have transcribed the pedigree of the family of Alington, of Swinhope, from Burke's Landed Gentry, 1879.
Online maps of Swinhope are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: