Swarby, a small village and a parish in Lincolnshire, 3¾ miles SSW of Sleaford, and 3½ W from Scredington station on the Stamford, Bourn, and Sleaford branch of the G.N.R. Post town, Sleaford; money order and telegraph office, Osbournby. Acreage, 997; population of the civil parish, 140; of the ecclesiastical, with Crofton, 164. The manor belongs to the Archer-Houblon family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; net value, £80. The church is a small but ancient edifice of stone in the Early English, Late Decorated, and Perpendicular styles.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Swarby St. Mary and All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Sleaford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Swarby:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Swarby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Swarby (St. Mary and All Saints))
Online maps of Swarby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online:
- Grantham Journal
- Grimsby Daily Telegraph
- Lincolnshire Chronicle
- Lincolnshire Echo
- Lincolnshire Free Press
- Louth and North Lincolnshire Advertiser
- Stamford Mercury