Sutton St Edmund, Lincolnshire
Sutton St Edmund, a village, a hamlet, and a parish in Lincolnshire, 10 miles W from Wisbech, and 4 N from French Drove station on the Spalding and March branch of the Great Northern and Great Eastern Joint railway. There is a post office under Wisbech; money order office, Parson Drove; telegraph office, Murrow (R.S.) Acreage, 5622; population of the civil parish, 645; of the ecclesiastical, 670. The manor belongs to the Jackson family. The land is devoted chiefly to grazing. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; gross value, £370 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Long Sutton. The church, rebuilt about 1798, is a small building of brick and stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and tower. There are Baptist and United Methodist chapels, an endowed school, and some useful charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Long Sutton|
|Poor Law union||Holbeach|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Sutton St Edmund:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sutton St Edmund from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sutton St. Edmund's)
Online maps of Sutton St Edmund are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: