Sutton in the Marsh, Lincolnshire
Sutton-in-the Marsh or Sutton-on-Sea, a parish, with a village, in Lincolnshire, on the coast, 7 miles NE of Alford. It has a station on the Louth and East Coast branch of the G.N.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Alford. Acreage, 1807; population, 495. There is a parish council of seven members and a chairman. The village has risen in favour during recent years as a watering-place, its chief attraction being its sands, which are broad and firm, with a very gradual slope, making them safe and pleasant for bathing, and eminently suitable for cricket and lawn tennisy A sea-wall, about a quarter of a mile long, with a promenade and carriage drive was built in 1885. There are also some good sandhills here which are covered with marram grass, sea holly, &c. There is a coastguard station. Bricks and tiles are made. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; net value, £205 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is mainly modern, and the chancel was rebuilt in 1860. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sutton-In-The-Marsh St. Clement|
|Poor Law union||Spilsby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Sutton-le-Marsh 1561-1837, Lincolnshire is available to browse online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Sutton On Sea:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sutton in the Marsh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sutton-In-The-Marsh (St. Clement))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: