South Witham, Lincolnshire
Witham, South, a parish, with a village, in Lincolnshire, on the river Witham, having a station on the M.R., 11 miles S from Grantham. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Grantham. Acreage, 1764; population, 575. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Earl of Dysart. A preceptory of Knights Templars was founded here in 1164. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln; gross value, £220 with residence. Patron, The Earl of Dysart. The church was originally cruciform, but consists now of only nave and transept. There are Wesleyan and Congregational chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||South Witham St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Grantham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for South Witham:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for South Witham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Witham, South (St. John the Baptist))
Online maps of South Witham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: