Sotby, a village and a parish in Lincolnshire, 8 miles NNW of Horncastle, and 3 SW from East Bartwith station on the Louth and Lincoln branch of the G.N.R. Post town and money order office, Wragby; telegraph office, South Willingham. Acreage, 1646; population, 166. The manor belongs to Captain R. C. De Grey Vyner. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln; net value, £224 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church, which was restored and partly rebuilt in 1859, is a small building of stone in the Early English and Norman styles, consisting of chancel and nave, with an open belfry. The remains of some very ancient mural paintings were discovered on the splays of the chancel windows during the restoration.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sotby St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Horncastle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Sotby:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sotby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sotby (St. Peter))
Online maps of Sotby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: