Snarford, a parish in Lincolnshire, 2 miles W of Snelland. station on the Hull and Lincoln branch of the M.S. & L.R., and 6½ SW by S of Market Rasen. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Market Rasen. Acreage, 1146; population, 105. The manor belongs to the Tichborne family, who are sole landowners. The living is a rectory annexed to Friesthorpe; joint net value, £199 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Lincoln. The church, which is a small but ancient edifice of stone, in the Norman, Early Decorated, and Perpendicular styles, contains some fine monuments of the St Poll or St Paule family, and a good Perpendicular font.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Snarford St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Lincoln|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Snarford:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Snarford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Snarford (St. Lawrence))
Online maps of Snarford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: