Partington, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical district taken out of the ancient parish of Bowdon, Cheshire. The village is close to the Manchester Ship Canal and the old bed of the Mersey, which separates it on the N from Lancashire, and 4½ miles WNW of Altrincham. A considerable business is done in the Partington Coaling Basin of the Ship Canal. It is a compact place, and has a station on the Cheshire Lines Committee railway and a post and money order office under Manchester; telegraph office, Cadishead. The township comprises 808 acres; population, 576. There is a parish council consisting of eight members. The ecclesiastical district was formed in 1885. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; gross value, £210 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Stamford. The church was erected in 1884. There is a paper-mill, and also Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Altrincham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the description from Pigot & Co. Directory of Cheshire, 1828-9
We have transcribed the entry for Partington from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.