Skendleby, a parish, with a village, in Lincolnshire, 2¼ miles WSW of Willoughby station on the East Lincolnshire branch of the G.N.R., and 4 NNE of Spilsby. It has a post and money order office under Spilsby; telegraph office, Partney. Acreage, 1540; population, 258. The manor belongs to the Earl of Ancaster. Skendleby Hall is a mansion of red brick in the Elizabethan style standing in a pleasant situation and commanding beautiful views. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; net value, £100 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Ancaster. The church, which was thoroughly restored in 1878 at a cost of £3000, under the direction of the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott, R.A., is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style. It has some good stained windows and some ancient tombs and monuments. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Skendleby St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Spilsby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Skendleby:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Skendleby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Skendleby (St. Peter))
Online maps of Skendleby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: