Skegness, a rising town, bathing place, and parish in Lincolnshire. The town stands on the coast, 4 miles E from Burgh, 5 NE from Wainfleet, 12 E from Spilsby, and 131 from London. It is the terminal station of Firsby and Skegness branch of the G.N.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) It has an urban district council of twelve members. There was formerly here an ancient walled town with a castle, which disappeared, owing to the encroachments of the sea before the reign of Henry VIII. The present town has of late years become a popular place of seaside resort, attracting many visitors from London, and still more from the Midland counties daring the summer season. The beach consists of fine sand, affording safe and pleasant bathing, and there is an iron pier 1843 feet long, with a saloon capable of seating 500 people, some pleasure gardens well laid out and provided with seats for visitors, cricket and lawn tennis grounds, large sea-water swimming baths, golf links, and the usual seaside amusements, including a switchback railway. The water supply was formerly very indifferent, but good water is now brought to the town from a deep well near Winthorpe, and an excellent system of drainage has been brought to completion. Five large hotels have been built for the accommodation of visitors, and there are numerous lodging-houses. There is a coastguard station with an armoury and life-saving apparatus, and the National Lifeboat Institution have a station here. The manor with all the land belongs to the Earl of Scarbrough. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln; net yearly value, £233, in the gift of the Earl of Scarbrough. The old church of St Clement, now only partially used, stands half a mile inland, and is an Ancient building of freestone in the Perpendicular style. The new church of St Matthew, erected in 1879-80 at a cost of about £6000, is a handsome building of Ancaster stone in the Early English style. There are also a Baptist, a Wesleyan, and two Primitive Methodist chapels. There is a large convalescent home for men at Seathorne, a home for women and children, entirely supported by Lady Scarbrough, at Seaview, and a Nottingham church home of rest. Area of the parish, 1823 acres; population, 1488.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Skegness St. Clement|
|Poor Law union||Spilsby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Skegness:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Skegness from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Skegness (St. Clement))
Online maps of Skegness are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: