Silk Willoughby or Silkby cum Willoughby, Lincolnshire
Silk Willoughby or Silkby-cum-Willoughby, a parish and a small village in Lincolnshire, 2 miles S from Sleaford, and 2½ S from Rauceby station on the Grantham and Sleaford branch of the G.N.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Sleaford. Acreage, 2590; population, 275. The manor belongs to the Earl of Dysart, who is also chief landowner. The old manor house, originally a seat of the Armyn family, is now a farmhouse. An ancient cross, having the emblems of the four Evangelists carved on the base, stands at the junction of Silkby and Willoughby. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln; net value, £370 with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Dysart. The church is a fine ancient edifice in the Norman, Late Decorated, and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel (rebuilt in 1878), nave, aisles, S porch, and a western tower, surmounted by an octagonal spire. It has a beautiful Norman font, and a traceried rood screen belonging to the Early Perpendicular period. There was formerly a chapel in that part of the parish known as Silkby, but this has disappeared.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Silk Willoughby St. Denis|
|Poor Law union||Sleaford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Silk Willoughby:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Silk Willoughby or Silkby cum Willoughby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Willoughby, Silk (St. Denis))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: