Oxton, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Woodchurch parish, Cheshire. The village stands 2 miles W of Birkenhead, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (T.S.O.) under Birkenhead. The manor belongs to the Earl of Shrewsbury. There are numerous villas and suburban residences. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1848. Population, 3866. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £191. Patron, the Rector of Woodchurch. The church was rebuilt in 1891.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wirrall|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Oxton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.