Scrivelsby, a parish in Lincolnshire, 2½ miles S by E of Horncastle station on a branch of the G.N.R. Post town, Horncastle. Acreage, 2132; population of the civil parish, 127; of the ecclesiastical, 158. The manor belonged anciently to the Marmions and the Lndlows; passed in the time of Richard II. to the Dymokes, and was formerly held on the tenure of attending each monarch of England on horseback at his coronation, and proclaiming a challenge to all opposers. This ceremony, however, has been dispensed with at the last two coronations. Scrivelsby Court is a large but irregularly built mansion, partly in the Domestic Gothic style, pleasantly situated in a well-wooded deer park of 360 acres. It formerly contained a fine collection of armour, and still possesses a number of coronation cups which have been given to members of the family who have served as king's champions, and some family portraits. The living is a rectory, united with Dalderby, in the diocese of Lincoln; joint net value, £481 with residence. The church is an interesting edifice of stone in the Early English, Decorated, and Perpendicular styles.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Scrivelsby St. Benedict|
|Poor Law union||Horncastle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Scrivelsby:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Scrivelsby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Scrivelsby (St. Benedict))
Online maps of Scrivelsby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: