Scremby (sometimes called Serenity-cum-Grebby),a, pretty village and a parish in Lincolnshire, 2½ miles WNW of Burgh station on the East Lincolnshire section of the G.N.R., and 3½ ENE of Spilsby. There is a post office under Spilsby; money order office, Skendleby; telegraph office, Partney. Acreage, 1342; population, 187. Scremby Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln; gross value, £260 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Portland. The church is a building of brick consisting of chancel, nave, and western tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Scremby St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Spilsby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Scremby:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Scremby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Scremby (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Online maps of Scremby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online:
- Grantham Journal
- Grimsby Daily Telegraph
- Lincolnshire Chronicle
- Lincolnshire Echo
- Lincolnshire Free Press
- Louth and North Lincolnshire Advertiser
- Stamford Mercury