Saxilby, a village and a parish in Lincolnshire. The village stands near the rivulet Till and the Fosse Dyke Navigation, 6 miles WNW of Lincoln, and has a station on the Spalding and Doncaster section of the G.N. and G.E. Joint railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Lincoln. The parish contains also the hamlets of North Ingleby and South Ingleby, sometimes called High and Low Ingleby, and comprises 4432 acres; population, 1092. There is a parish council consisting of ten members. Wharves for coal and corn are on the Fosse Dyke, and there is a chemical manure factory. There is a Roman barrow within the parish. The living is a vicarage, united with Ingleby, in the diocese of Lincoln; joint net value, £105 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of a double chancel, nave, N aisle, and an embattled western tower. There are a mission church and Free Methodist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Saxilby:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Online maps of Saxilby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: