Overton (Malpas), Cheshire
Overton, a township in Malpas parish, Cheshire, 1½ mile N by W of Malpas. Acreage, 736; population, 101. Overton Hall, an ancient building formerly moated, is the chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wrexham|
|Registration district||Wrexham||1837 - 1853|
|Registration district||Whitchurch||1853 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the description from Pigot & Co. Directory of Cheshire, 1828-9
We have transcribed the entry for Overton (Malpas) from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Overton (Malpas) are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.