Pilham, a pleasant village and a parish in Lincolnshire, half a mile S of Blyton station on the M.S. & L.R, main line, and 4¼ miles NE by E of Gainsborough. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Gainsborough. Acreage of the civil parish, 665; population, 60; of the ecclesiastical, 92. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln; gross value, £160 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The parish was formerly of greater extent, but in 1885 a considerable portion was transferred to the neighbouring parish of Blyton. The church, which was greatly improved in 1884, is a building of stone consisting of chancel, nave, and an embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pilham All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Gainsborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Pilham:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pilham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Pilham (All Saints))
Online maps of Pilham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: